Thursday, March 17, 2011

Welcome!

I am a current college English major who spends a lot of time reading, interpreting, and writing about literature of all kinds. I am always willing to read anything from classic literature to popular fiction to teen fiction plus some more; I may even incorporate some poetry or drama, but I prefer novels. At the same time, I love to watch movies, even though the books are almost always better. Due to all of the reading that I have on my syllabus and my personal leisure reading list, books take priority most of the time. But who says that's a bad thing? Reading is a great hobby for everyone, regardless of age, gender, interests, etc. Books offer an entrance into other worlds entirely different from our own: a world where, literally, anything is possible. Books are, quite simply, a product of an author's imagination combined with the author's knowledge, experience, perspectives, and interests. While the author's mind works to create a story, the audience's mind works to decipher a meaning from the words on the page. The beauty of reading is that everything is open to interpretation, meaning that each individual reader can interpret the writing based on their own knowledge and experience. In other words, each story, novel, or poem can take on countless meanings. After all, reading is a solitary actions; therefore, there is no right or wrong answer when interpreting a work because no two people have exactly the same knowledge base or experience.

It is important begin reading at a young age in order to enable young children to develop a love of reading and a strong, creative mind that will last a lifetime. Each of these characteristics will benefit them in the future: analytical skills will be useful in any future jobs and an imagination will provide them with an occasional escape from reality. Books provide knowledge of all kinds regardless of interest, whether it relates to the life of a former president or how to begin a blog; all books are inspiring on some level in all genres, whether a short passage of a novel inspires another novel or someone tries a new recipe from a cookbook. 

In this blog, I will be posting my own reactions to the works that I will be reading at that time. The posts could be just a simple reaction to a chapter I have read or they could be analytical as I try to decipher the meaning of a certain work. Remember that what I will be posting are simply my own observation, interpretations, or analysis, and, therefore, may not mirror your own views. Knowing this, I would love to hear the opinions of other readers because discussion is fun, inspiring, and beneficial for all parties involved. Reading is both important and fun, so take the time to pick up any book and read; it will be nothing but beneficial in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment